- First of all, we need a cmd prompt. To open the command prompt you need to press Windows + R at once. This will open the Run Panel. In the search bar, you need to type cmd and press enter.
- Type “netsh winsock reset” in command prompt and press enter which will start resetting the windows sockets. Once the procedure is completed you can simply go to the Steam client and upgrade again. This will solve the issue.
- First, you need to open the steam client and go to the settings of Steam, which you find in the top right corner of the screen.
- Once you are inside the settings menu, click on downloads, and select “Steam Library Folders.”
- After that, Chose the option which says “Add Library Folder.” Its allow you to select a new location for the steam client.
- Once you have selected the folder/location, you can proceed with the Add Library Folder.
- Next, Close your steam application and go to the steam default directory, which is C:\Program Files\Steam.).
- Open the folder and delete all files except SteamApp and UserData Folders. Move these folders to the location you have newly selected. Now you are all set.
- Go to Steam and log in again. After that, try to update steam games, and you able to update.
- If the problem persists, then copy the SteamApp folder and store it in a safe place. Next, uninstall Steam entirely and reinstall it. Once done, copy and paste the SteamApp folder in the default steam directory, which is C:\Program Files\Steam.). It restores your game data and settings.
- Launch the Steam client and log in. Once logged in, you need to check the Integrity of the steam files before you start to Play or update steam games.
Method 5: Run Steam client app as Administrator in windows PC to solve Steam content file locked error on SteamAs with many applications in your Windows PC, Steam also sometimes requires some special permission from Windows Administrator to run correctly. Sometimes Windows block applications from accessing folders, which are stores in system drivers such as the C Drive. And this can sometimes be the reason behind the Steam content file locked error. Let us take a look at how to do that.
- Go to your desktop and right-click on the Steam client app icon. After that, from the drop-down menu, select properties.
- In properties, go to the Compatibility Tab. There you need to check the option which says Run as Administrator.
- Next, click on apply and then ok for the changes to take effect.
- Once done, restart your steam client app and check if the problem persists or not.
Method 6: Repair the corrupt files to solve Steam content file locked error on steam
If none of the above methods works for you, then you can try out this one without having to uninstall your steam app client. Repairing the corrupt files neutralizes the problem in maximum cases. Let us take a look at how to do that.
- First, you need to close the steam client app completely. Once done, go to your steam file directory. the default directory that is present under C:/Program Files/Steam.
- Next, open the folder which says “logs” and the open the.txt file, which is inside the folder.
- If there are any errors, it listed at the extreme bottom of the text file.
- The format may appear like, location address followed by error type. Like Disk Write failure. Here is a sample example to show it
[2020-04-22 12:47:31] [AppID 346110] Update canceled: File commit failed: failed to move unchanged file “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\346110\570371714\LinuxNoEditor\xxx\xxxxx\xxxxx\xxxx \xxx.z.uncompressed_size” (Disk write failure)
Steam is a great platform for game distribution; however, there are at times you may face issues in the Games, which are minor, and developers are working day and night to fix those issues. Sometimes the issue is not that huge, and thus you can also solve it. Steam content file locked is one such issue that requires an ample amount of your precious time for you to fix it. The above-said methods help you to fix the problem. If the problem persists after you have successfully tried all of these procedures, you can go for a combination of methods to fic the issue. Even after that, the problem persists, then you have to uninstall the whole client application and reinstall it to fic the issue. This issue is not significant, and you can resolve it on your own without having your steam uninstalled.
You May Also Check:
✅ What does content file locked mean on steam?
- Content file locked is a steam error, which means it failed to write the update files in your local steam directory.
✅ How to fix the content file locked on steam?
- Repairing the corrupt files may resolve the Steam content file locked error on site.
✅ How to permanently fix the steam content file locked?
- Running the Steam client app as Administrator in windows PC can resolve Steam content file locked error on steam.
✅ How to disable the steam content file locked?
- Disabling Antivirus on your system help in resolving the steam content file locked issue.
✅ How to unlock locked content file steam?
- Checking for bad sectors in the installation drive and repairing it is a great way to unlock locked file steam.
✅ Why is steam saying my content file is locked?
- There might be an issue while you were updating the steam. It can be due to corrupted files in your installation directory.
✅ How to fix “content file locked” on steam?
- Changing the Steam Installation and Game Files directory can help you to solve the Steam content file locked error on steam.
✅ What to do when a game on steam says content file locked?
- Resetting Windows Sockets API (Winsock) can be very useful in solving the Steam content file locked error on steam.